Tuesday, October 9, 2012

30 Day Video Game Challenge: Day 24

Day 24: Favorite Classic Game

So when figuring out what 'classic' exactly meant, I turned to the criteria for another favorite past time of mine; automobiles.

Classic cars are defined as between 20 to 40 years old.  So I'm stuck with games that came out before 1992 - I'm in luck.  Almost 20 years ago, I sat through a snowy Christmas day and played the Legend of Zelda, a Link to the Past until I got into the dark world (then promptly passed out).  Quite the accomplishment for a nine year old gamer that had only fantasized about playing the game after seeing if briefly at a friends house. 


This would turn out to be a memory that I had fondly looked back on throughout my life.  One hell of a snowstorm, we literally couldn't go anywhere. Christmas, as we usually celebrated it (with friends and family) was cancelled due to the ungodly amount of snow on the ground.  It was a good day, my parents were enjoying the fact that I loved a gift they had got me so much - I had been begging for a SNES ever since they got me a Sega the year before.  Sega had some good games, but it was largely recognized as a piece of shit once the Super Nintendo came out. 

Anyway, that's my favorite classic game - The Legend of Zelda, A Link to the Past.  I still think about that Christmas day every year, I miss that lost-in-a-new-world feeling that you used to get when you opened up a new game back then.  No internet, no spoilers, no expectations.  Dive in.  Good luck.