Wednesday, June 20, 2012

30 Day Video Game Challenge: Day 20

Day 20 - Favorite genre: Role-Playing Games (RPG)

The first RPG I was addicted to.





My first true RPG was Earthbound on the Super Nintendo, and ever since then I was hooked.  The story of Ness, Paula, Jeff and Poo (Yes, Poo) got me not only interested in an intriguing story with a unique setting - but in character development as well.  I found myself immersed in a story which I felt somewhat tied to - four kids saving the world.  I wanted to be one of them - and while that theme faded quickly as I grew up, the passion to develop a character and see him finish a goal never disappeared.

Nowadays the majority of games on the market have strong RPG elements throughout them.  Franchises like Mass Effect, Metroid, Zelda, and many others have strong lead characters which many people can instantly recognize, and to some extent relate to.   

Also, RPG's give a player a sense of ownership.  It's not just a character, its MYcharacter.  I build him, I developed him.  He has that cool weapon because of me.  Let's go kill shit.

That's what it's all about.