Thursday, April 5, 2012

30 Day Video Game Challenge: Day 4

Day 4: My guilty pleasure - League of Legends


League of Legends, or LoL as its commonly abbreviated, sank its teeth into me nearly two years ago and hasn't let up for one moment since.  Truthfully, the appeal of the game isn't really the competitive edge you can get over other players based on your knowledge and skill, but in the fact that every game is a chance to start over.

I've played close to 2000 games (5v5's) in my two year sprint.  Each game takes about 45 minutes (average) form champion select through loading and completion.  That's roughly 1500 hours spent playing this time vampire - or close to nine weeks.  That's a retarded amount of time and really goes to show just how addictive a 'quick' tower defense game format coupled with variety and customization can really be.

Truthfully, aside from the obvious reasons, LoL is bad for my health because in all my long years spent gaming - I've never raged at people and myself as hard as I have when I'm at my peak of frustration in a close LoL match.  Not just because of the frustrating and often inconsistent game mechanics observation caused by a very small amount of server-side lag, but because the game is 100% team based which means you're not only relying on your own skill but that of four other people who hopefully have decent internet connections and won't become bored or fed up and quit half way through the game.  Sadly, I'd estimate 20% of my games in LoL experience this to one extent or another; from players getting frustrated and 'feeding' (allowing themselves to get killed over and over again), to players rage quitting randomly, never connecting, or going AFK mid-match.  Just writing about it gets me seething.

That all being said, its obviously a fun game, and one almost any computer with a stable internet connection can run.  It's easy to pick up and play, and while there is a lot to learn - that's all part of the challenge and glory of Riot's League of Legends.

I love, and hate this game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say?